Saturday, August 2, 2014

GOTG: The Next Star Wars

  GOTG: The Next Star Wars
  Many went into this film with high expectations and hype that was unprecedented, much like the somewhat disappointing Godzilla (2014) from earlier this year. Not many knew what to expect with this film considering that the Guardians of the Galaxy were for the most part unheard of characters to the general public. This film did not disappoint in any way. It is by far the greatest Marvel film ever made, downing the Avengers and Days of Future Past.

    I went into this movie with a feeling that I don't usually get with a film. I knew that this was going to be different and good at the same given time and I was not let down. From the very opening scene to the ending credits, there was not even a second of boredom. To say that this film was entertaining would be putting it under the bus. This film was exhilarating. Never have I seen a film that grasped my attention and kept me in awe from start to finish.

    As for the technical aspects, this film has the best CGI I have ever seen. Not once did the animation look even relatively fake or cheesy. The CGI will probably revolutionize the field much like 2009's Avatar. I felt as though I could reach out and touch these alien creatures and the amazingly designed ships. The score of the film was beautiful as was the cinematography. There were emotional scenes that were played so well with the score that it was as if they were interchangeable parts that had to be together to work in unison. Every shot of this film was gorgeous and breathtaking. I saw so many things that I have never seen in a film before and for them to capture it so crisply is truly astounding. The acting was very well done by all of the cast members. There may not be any Oscar buzz for the cast, but that doesn't mean that they weren't perfect for their roles. Chris Pratt was genius as Star Lord, Bautista was hilarious as Drax, the Destroyer and Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel did great jobs for voice acting, both being highlights for the film.

    As far as writing, this movie did something truly unique. it focused on all of the Guardians with equal screen time and equal information of their lives, though Star Lord may have a bit more for obvious reasons. All of the personalities of the main characters were written so well that I forgot for a period of time that it was even a movie. The humor is not dirty (for the most part) and is not slap stick and tiresome. Every scene with humor did its job to make the whole crowd in the theater laugh hysterically. The dialogue was simply that well written.

    Every aspect of this film was great. Obviously, it isn't a perfect film but it manages to do something that directors have forgotten about. It entertains the audience and that is the sole purpose of the entire film. Films now rely so heavily on art and the director's ideas of "uniqueness" that most films are only appreciated by certain groups. Guardians of the Galaxy is a film that anyone can watch and they will enjoy themselves from start to finish and never want to leave the theater.

    While watching this movie at the opening Friday, I couldn't help but think to myself over and over again that this is the next Star Wars. It has the same chemistry and formula but, in my own opinion, it exceeds the original Star Wars. It is an updated and modern form of that film technique of pure entertainment mixed with humor and character development that adults can relate to as well.

    It is rare that I say this, but this film will make you cry, make you laugh, make you excited, make you fearful, etc. It is every genre and yet no genre. Guardians is going to be a staple in film and will one day be considered one of the greatest Sci Fi films ever. James Gunn was the director of one of the worst films of 2013 in Movie 43, but he has proved that he is one of the elite despite a horrible effort a year prior. This film resurrects the original intention and purpose of film: to entertain. I believe it will be the next Star Wars and spawn many more films to come.

10/10

2 comments:

  1. Hey Charles, this was a good read. I really enjoyed Guardians of The Galaxy too. I went into the theater blind, not knowing anything about the comics or film. Many people in my group expected it to be a serious Marvel movie like the past Avenger movie pieces. It was nice to have a comedy movie. Each Marvel film has its share of comedy in it, but this one had me laughing the entire time. Hard to compare The Avengers with it just because each Avenger had a couple movies for themselves before and after. We grew to love the characters before the battle in New York. The Avengers had its comic relief but it was darker than GOTG. I loved how they introduced Thanos a little more in Guardians. I imagine that he will be the last villain the Avengers take on for The Avengers 3. As far as casting goes, I don't think there could be any better actors in the film. Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel stole the show. I mean, you know its good when Groot has five words and is still funny. Great review, I think people should read this before going... especially if they know nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words, Reid! It has been confirmed that Thanos will be the main villain in Avengers 3, Ultron being the clear villain for the next Avengers film. I have heard the argument that the Avengers is incomparable to GOTG due to the previous films building up to it, but I honestly personally enjoyed it more than the Avengers. GOTG have great stories and I highly recommend the current ongoing series. Thanks again for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete